Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Tad Bit Nippy

So I'm in Africa, Senegal to be specific. I'm wearing long pants, a t-shirt and sweatshirt and I'm comfortable, NOT sweating. This is a new sensation for me. I have left Kaolack aka 'the oven' to return to Thies for 3 more weeks of training and I really wasn't mentally prepared for the weather I found. Only a 3 hours drive and its about a 20 degree difference. Also a bit strange is that when I left Thies and my family here, I spoke and understood relatively little Wolof and I guess now I understand more, because now I can actually understand my family at the dinner bowl. It's really great to see the volunteers that I haven't seen in the 2.5 months we were at site and its also great to hear about the varied experiences we've had. This weekend there is a wild crazy time called WAIST (West African Invitational Softball Tournament) where ex-pats, volunteers, etc from all the countries in west Africa descend on Dakar for a weekend of softball and general debaucherie. We are all looking forward to it because not only will it be a nice time to relax and have fun, but we will be able to network and get to know ex-pats and the other volunteers. Let you know how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment